CSS 2022-2025 Collective Agreement
After a year of challenging negotiations, the Community Social Services Bargaining Association is pleased to present details of the tentative agreement reached early this month.
HSA is one of nine unions in this bargaining association, and represents over 1000 members covered by this agreement. We were skillfully represented at the bargaining table by staff negotiator Colin Brehaut and Dawn Marie Goodmurphy, who was elected by members to be their representative. The committee started negotiations in February 2022, led by the BC General Employees Union (BCGEU), the union representing a majority of workers covered by the collective agreement.
Your representatives have been working hard to bring forward the priorities identified by members like you. These priorities include fair and equitable wages to address rising costs of living, meaningful recognition and rights for Indigenous workers and the ability to address your own health needs, including mental health supports.
Your bargaining committee believes this is a tentative agreement that meets the priorities set by HSA members working in community social services, and your Board of Directors joins with all nine unions in the bargaining association in recommending that you vote yes in favour of the tentative collective agreement.
In the coming weeks, HSA will be conducting telephone town halls, inviting all members to call in to listen to reports, hear questions from other members, and ask questions themselves. See details below.
The Comprehensive Report contains the full Terms of Settlement — the proposed changes to the Collective Agreement — along with explanatory text. You can view (and download) the Comprehensive Report here.
You can also view a one-page document that shows the highlights of the proposed agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have an FAQ that you can visit here. If you have a question that isn't answered in the FAQ, please ask it via email to info [at] hsabc.org.
Online voting on the tentative agreement is open to all members covered by the Community Social Services Bargaining Association. The vote will be open March 20 to March 27, and more information will be coming soon.
To vote, we'll need to send secure credentials to your personal emails address. Click here to make sure HSA has your personal email.
If HSA does not have your personal email on file, your voting credentials will be sent through the postal mail.
Please ask your coworkers if they are receiving HSA emails — if they are not, encourage them to visit the member contact update tool to update their information and make sure they receive the voting link by email.
Telephone Town Halls, which allow members to call into a group phone meeting, hear reports from union leadership and ask questions, will take place on:
- Monday, March 6; 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm
- Tuesday, March 7; 7:00 to 8:00 pm
To participate, simply wait for your phone to ring at the scheduled meeting time and pick up. Allow 10 minutes for all the calls to be placed; the meeting won’t start until the full dial-out is complete. If you have recently changed your phone number, please update your contact information so that we dial the correct number.
Did you get a phone call or postcard from HSA? We're contacting members to make sure we have your current personal email address to ensure you receive all the information about the tentative agreement. You can confirm or update your contact information with our online tool.
- March 21, 2023: Time to vote: CSS 2022-25 Tentative Agreement Ratification
- February 15, 2023: CSS Bargaining Update - Information Package on the Proposed Agreement
- February 6, 2023: CSS Bargaining Update - Tentative agreement reached
- January 19, 2023: CSS Bargaining Update - Negotiations resume
- November 29, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - An update from your community social services bargaining association
- November 8, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Contract talks suspended for 17,000 unionized community social services workers
- October 4, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Work continues as discussions pause
- September 16, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Wages, compensation, and Indigenous rights dominate contract talks this week
- September 13, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - CSS Is Back at the Table
- August 16, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - The Parties Continue Talks at the Bargaining Table
- July 28, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - We're Getting Back to the Bargaining Table
- July 5, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Challenging discussions going into the summer
- June 15, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Collective Bargaining 101
- June 8, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - FAQ from the bargaining table
- June 3, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Monetary priorities table by committee
- May 13, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Negotiations resume next week
- April 7, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Agreements Expire and Negotiations Continue
- March 22, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Looking to Tell Your Stories
- March 8, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Five Weeks In
- February 14, 2022: CSS Bargaining Update - Bargaining Begins