25 years later: still acting to stop violence against women
25 years ago, on December 6, 1989, 14 women at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal, were killed in a gender-based act of violence. They were:
Barbara Klucznik Widajewicz
In 1991, Canada's Parliament declared December 6th to be the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women.
This is a time to reflect on the impact of violence against women and to renew our commitment to speak out and take action.
Candlelight vigils, memorial services and other events are held throughout the province. Here are some of the December 6 events happening around BC.
Vancouver and Lower Mainland:
- Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter is holding an all-day event Dec 6 at the Vancouver Public Library 10am – 6pm Films, lectures, panels and roundtable discussions. For more info please visit: www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca
- Shoe Memorial: Vancouver Art Gallery, Robson St. stairs. This Dec 6 event honors the missing or murdered women of BC by placing a pair of shoes on the art gallery steps with a name of a victim attached. This event runs all day with a brief ceremony at 1pm. www.shoememorial.com
- Remember Our Sisters Everywhere: A ceremony and protest on Dec 6 from 10:30 – 11:30 am at the Marker of Change, the Women's Monument at Thornton park, Main St and Terminal Ave, Vancouver.
- End Violence Against Women – 4th Annual Candle Light Vigil - Dec 6, 4:30 to 6:00 pm sponsored by: PSAC; West Fraser Valley Area Council; BCFED. Holland Park, 13428 Old Yale Road, Surrey
- Public Service Alliance of Canada is holding a candlelight vigil at 4pm Dec 6 at Holland Park on Dallas Road, Victoria (between south Turner and Government St) donations will be collected and donated to local women's organizations.
- Comox Valley Transition Society is hosting a vigil at noon on Saturday Dec. 6 on the plaza in front of the Comox Valley Art Gallery, 580 Duncan Ave., Courtenay. Everyone is welcome.
- Powell River Shoe Memorial - Powell River & Region Transition House Society and Powell River RCMP are holding the 3rd Annual Shoe Memorial Dec 6 at the Town Centre Mall
- Kamloops Shoe Memorial – CUPE Local 900, Kamloops YWCA, and the Kamloops Labour Council are holding a shoe memorial on Dec 6 at St. Andrew's on the Square (159 Seymour St) from 11:00 am-1:30pm with speakers beginning at 12:15 pm.