COVID 19: Update to HSA Members
COVID 19: UPDATE TO HSA MEMBERS
The provincial medical health officer has provided regular briefings to BC’s health care unions about the developing situation worldwide related to COVID 19 (Novel Coronavirus).
Information from the medical health officers is that Canada is dealing well with this virus.
A provincial committee dedicated to coordinating a standardized response across the health authorities in terms of policy, procedure, and dissemination of information is in place. Ensure that you are regularly checking on your employer's website for current policies and procedures relative to COVID 19
Health care workers who are concerned about being exposed should take the following precautions:
- Make sure to follow all recommended policies and procedures relative to personal protective equipment (PPE). We recognize the critical importance of the point-of-care risk assessment by workers, and recognize that individual healthcare workers are best positioned to determine the appropriate PPE required based on their interaction with an individual patient
- If you come into contact with somebody with symptoms consistent with COVID 19 (fever, cough, difficulty breathing), please make sure you are following droplet precautions [mask, gloves, gowns, hand hygiene, eye protection, and asking the patient to put on a mask] unless performing an aerosol generating medical procedure (AGMP)
- If you are performing AGMP as part of your role make sure your fit testing for an N95 respirator is up-to-date and that you know where to find the equipment when needed
- Watch for concerning symptoms, that is,
- fever and/or new onset or exacerbation of chronic cough
- and travel to an affected area in the 14 days before onset of illness
- or close contact with a confirmed or probable case of 2019-nCoV within 14 days before their illness onset
- or close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who has been to an affected area within 14 days prior to their illness onset.
- If you suspect a patient has potentially been exposed, follow your employer's policies and procedures to report this to the appropriate contacts
- if you are unsure of anything related to your employer’s policies and procedures contact a representative of your local joint Occupational Health & Safety committee or your HSA Occupational Health & Safety steward
Stay up-to-date on information for health care workers here: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-professionals/clinical-resources/novel-coronavirus-(covid-19)