In communities across BC, thousands of people are suffering BC’s worst forest fire season in many years.
Health care professionals, including members of HSA, have stepped up by asking how they can work to help their colleagues deliver health in affected regions.
The Ministry of Health, working with HealthLink BC, has responded by creating a Health Provider Registry. The Registry will help health authorities match qualified staff who want to help with the communities needing their help. It’s open to all BC regulated or registered health care providers. Full-time, part-time and casual staff from all health authorities, including the regional health authorities and Provincial Health Services Authority are all able to register.
You will be compensated at your current salary level during deployment. There will be no interruption of benefits, vacation or seniority as a result of deployment. Any hours worked beyond your normal shift, including overtime, will be processed after your deployment ends and will be included in future pay periods. To find out more, read the Frequently Asked Questions below.
If you are interested in helping out, get email approval from your supervisor, then provide this by email to the designated contact person for your health authority, as listed below.

Health Authority Email Contact Number
Island Health @email Island Health HR Access
Fraser Health @email 604-953-5133
Providence @email N/A
Interim until generic account set up
Vancouver Coastal @email 604-875-4582
Northern Health @email N/A
PHSA @email  
Interior Health @email 1-888-877-7707

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the registry?

  • The registry has been created by HealthLink BC and the Ministry of Health to help match health authorities who need additional staffing resources to respond to the health care needs of people affected by the wildfires, and staff who are willing to be deployed to those regions.
  • Interested staff can sign up and provide their contact information, along with information about their current job title/specialty and availability and regional preferences.
  • Health authorities who identify a specific need (for example: a residential care aide to work in Prince George) are then able to access the eligible individuals on the registry to fill that position.

Do I have to sign up?

  • No. The registry is voluntary. It was created because many health care workers have expressed a desire to help out, and there was no centralized mechanism to match eligible staff with regions in need.

Who is eligible to sign up?

  • This registry is open to all B.C. regulated or registered health care providers.
  • Staff from all health authorities are eligible to sign up, including the regional health authorities, and Provincial Health Services Authority.
  • Full-time, part-time or casual staff are able to register.

Will I get paid to be deployed? Will I get overtime?

  • You will be compensated at your current salary level during deployment. There will be no interruption of benefits, vacation or seniority as a result of deployment.
  • Any hours worked beyond your normal shift, including overtime, will be processed after your deployment ends and will be included in future pay periods.

Will my travel and accommodation be covered?

  • Travel and accommodation costs will be covered but the details are still being worked out. The specific reimbursement process will be clarified as you move forward with your redeployment.

Does my supervisor need to approve my deployment?

  • Yes, when you sign up for the registry, your supervisor will need to approve your deployment. This is necessary to ensure that there are sufficient staffing resources available at your home health authority to cover any absences as a result of your deployment.

How do I know if I will be deployed?

  • Once you have signed up for the registry, health authorities who are in need of staff are able to search the database for staff who can fill their requirements (for example: home support workers, or pediatric nurses), along with availability.
  • If you have been selected for deployment by a receiving health authority, you will be contacted directly by the receiving health authority to set up deployment arrangements.

Will these hours be counted towards my seniority?

  • Yes, health authorities will respect all the collective agreement provisions in place, including seniority, benefits, and vacation accrual.

Is my information on the registry public? Who has access to the information?

  • No – there are only two designated individuals in each health authority who have access to the database, for the purposes of searching and identifying available staff.
  • Healthlink BC will also have access to the information, as they host and manage the database.
  • All of your personal information will be protected.
  • Once the wildfire emergency is ended, and the Registry is no longer required, HealthLink will ensure that all personal data will be deleted from the Registry.

What kind of role can I sign up for? What is needed?

  • There are a variety of positions needed, and needs may vary at any time depending on current staffing conditions at the receiving health authority.
  • However, you will be deployed at the same or a similar position/classification to your current position, consistent with your skills and experience.

What happens to my job/work when I’m gone?

  • Your job will be maintained while you are gone.
  • It is up to your supervisor to ensure that there is adequate coverage while staff are deployed.

How much advance notice will I get before deploying?

  • This will depend on your availability and your supervisor’s approval. Given the challenges with the wildfires and resultant evacuations, staff may need to be ready for immediate deployment to a fire-affected community.

Where could I be deploying?

  • Locations will vary depending on wildfire conditions and locations where evacuees are being housed.

Where will I be staying while I’m deployed?

  • You can discuss this with the receiving health authority which may offer a variety of accommodation options including bed and breakfast, motels, hotels, billeting or other private accommodation. If you have friends and family in a fire-affected community could choose to stay there.

What do I need to do if I’m interested?

  • Each health authority has created a process to follow when adding your name to the registry. If you would like to sign up, please contact your health authority’s designated contact person.