HSA Political Action Fund available to support members in upcoming elections

HSA members throughout the province who are running for office or working in municipal or provincial election campaigns this fall may apply to HSA for financial support from HSAs Political Action Fund.

Municipal, Board of Education and Regional District elections

1. Members who are candidates in a civic election may apply for up to 5 days of wage replacement and/or up to $200 to cover approved personal expenses incurred to run for office. 
2. Members who are working on a civic election campaign may apply for 1 day of wage replacement, but must confirm that they are donating at least 20 hours of their own unpaid time to work on the campaign. Additional paid time may be approved by HSAs Political Action Committee, for members in key campaign positions.

Members may apply for support if they are candidates or working in campaigns to elect any of the following civic positions: 

 1) mayor
 2) councillor
 3) Board of Education trustee (school trustee)
 4) regional district electoral area director
 5) Islands Trust trustee or
 6) elected park board commissioner.

Possible Provincial election

There is considerable speculation that a general provincial election may be called in British Columbia this fall. If an election is called, then the Fund will be available to members who are candidates or who work on an election campaign.

1. Members who are candidates may apply for up to 20 days of wage replacement and/or up to $200 to cover approved personal expenses incurred to run for office.

2. Members who are working on an election campaign may apply for up to 20 days of wage replacement.

If a member receives wage replacement for any time during the actual election campaign period (from the day the writ is issued until Election Day), then Elections BC treats the full amount paid by HSA for wages and benefits as an election expense against the candidates/constituencys campaign spending limit. 

It is therefore essential that the provincial election campaign you wish to work with agrees to accept the entire value of the wage replacement for which you are applying during this time period.  The campaign manager or financial agent MUST sign your application to indicate acceptance of this amount, or your application will not be considered.  If the campaign you wish to work for does not yet have a campaign manager or financial agent, then please contact Carol Riviere at the HSA office.

Members working on a provincial election campaign prior to the beginning of the election period (before the writ drop) or following Election Day may also be eligible for Political Action Fund support.  Contact Carol Riviere at the HSA office for more information on support available during these time periods.

HSA is not affiliated with any political party.  HSA provides financial support to members to run for office or to work on election campaigns, only where the candidate and the party or slate with which the candidate is running ... if any ... demonstrate support for all of the following:

a) a positive role for the public sector;
b) the principles of the Canada Health Act;
c) free collective bargaining for public sector employees; and
d) progressive occupational health and safety legislation.


Limited support is also available to assist members to attend training to equip them to run for office or work in election campaigns.  Please contact Carol Riviere at the HSA office for information about applying for this support.


Members applying for support to run or work in an election campaign must complete the relevant attached application for municipal or provincial elections (additional copies are available on HSAs website at http://www.hsabc.org/content.php?id=363).  Send completed applications by e-mail, fax or regular mail to Carol Riviere at the HSA office. 

Members are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be considered in the order they are received, while funding remains available.  Early application may also assist members approved for leave to actually schedule this time off work. 

For further information, please contact Carol Riviere, Communications Officer, at the HSA office (@email).

Printer friendly versions:


Application Form (Provincial)

Appplication Form (Municipal)