Will you Stand Against Hate?
In recent years, there has been a significant rise in anti-trans and anti- 2SLGBTQIA+ actions and hate speech across the province, country, and the world. This year, Statistics Canada data showed a 64 per cent increase in hate crimes targeting individuals over their sexual orientation. These actions not only threaten the health, safety, and wellbeing of HSA members who are part of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities, but also the clients and patients we serve, and our friends, family and neighbours.
Provincial governments across Canada are proposing and/or implementing concerning changes to school policies, and new laws that reduce protections for 2SLGBTQI+ students and threaten safety and inclusivity in schools.
Over the last decade in BC, we have made long-overdue changes that respect the dignity of Two-Spirit, trans, and gender diverse people. However, these hard-fought gains are at risk. On September 20th there are anti-trans protests planned across Canada, and in BC at locations including Vancouver, Surrey, Coquitlam, Victoria, Nanaimo, Parksville, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Cranbrook, Kamloops, Trail, Port Alberni, Prince Rupert, Salmon Arm, Princeton, 100 Mile House, Fort St. John, Vernon and more.
HSA members and your Board of Directors have expressed solidarity and support with 2SLGBTQIA+ communities including Two-Spirit, trans, and gender diverse communities. Now, these communities need us to use our voice again. HSA encourages members to show up in solidarity and support of Two Spirit, trans, and gender diverse people in the following ways:
- Sign the petition to ask the federal government to Act for Queer Safety
- Contact your local MLA and ask for them to denounce the September 20th protests
- Ask BC’s Human Rights Commissioner to publicly denounce this direct invasion of human rights and the BC Human Rights Code: email @email
Anti-trans statements and actions pose a threat to physical and psychological health. If you or someone you know or love needs support, we recommend these resources:
Resources for Two Spirit, Trans and Gender Diverse Members:
- Trans Lifeline
- Trans Care BC’s Peer Support Directory
- 2 Spirits of BC
- HSA’s Gender Diverse and 2SLGBTQIA+ caucuses: email @email for more information.
If you want to learn more about how to support Two Spirit, trans, and gender-diverse people, these are some helpful educational resources:
- Canadian Labour Congress Workers in Transition Guide
- HSA’s Pronoun and Gender Diversity Guide
- Trans Care BC
- Trans Rights BC
- Qmunity Resources
- Statements affirming gender- diverse expression and sexual diversity: